Near to Witney (2.5 miles) is the beautiful village of Minster Lovell with thatched cottages and romantic ruined Manor House.
Witney Lake and Meadows is a tranquil haven for wildlife just a short walk from the town centre.
They were further modernised in 1814 after which they ceased to be almshouses and were let for rent.
The architectural diversity of the town is reflected in the style of accommodation available, with hotels both large and small, ancient and modern, a broad range of Bed and Breakfasts and a good selection of Self-Catering cottages.
The market square which lies at the junction of the two main streets contains the Buttercross, a medieval marketing and meeting place where women from neighbouring villages gathered to sell butter and eggs.
Once famous across the world for its blanket making, gloves and other woollen goods.
Much of the town's architecture reflects the prosperity brought by the woollen trade.
Get away from it all with a walk around a beautiful lake and through peaceful fields.
Just a few miles from Witney you will find Blenheim Palace, home of the 11th Duke of Marlborough and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill.Contact - [email protected] FROM OVER 850 PLACES TO STAY IN THE COTSWOLDS COTSWOLD HOTELS BED AND BREAKFAST PUBS & INNS HOLIDAY COTTAGES FARM ACCOMMODATION COTTAGE LETTINGS CONFERENCES WEDDINGS DOG FRIENDLY LUXURY / EXCLUSIVE CAMPING HOT DEALSThe Market town of Witney in the Oxfordshire Cotswold is on the River Windrush, 10 miles from Oxford. Witney is famous for the manufacture of blankets, gloves, and other woollen goods.Witney was selected by The Sunday Times newspaper (March 2014) as one of the best places to live in Britain . Mary is a 13th-century cruciform church and restored in 1867, the Henry Box school was built in 1663, the Blue Coat School in 1723 (the school was set up in Witney in 1723 expressly to teach the sons of weavers the skills they would need to become weavers' apprentices), and the Blanket Hall in about 1720.The small roofed open-air shelter known as the Butter Cross in the market place, near to the Town Hall, was erected in 1683, replacing the old Butter Cross which formerly stood on this site.Witney is the largest town in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds and has grown rapidly over the last 50 years but still retains the feel of a charming and bustling market town with an excellent range of shops and a twice weekly market.It has a steeply gabled roof surmounted by a clock-turret added in 1683. Market Square widens into Church Green which is dominated by the tower and spire of the 13th century church.