Towards the end of WWII, a lack of affordable housing meant many problems for Chester.Large areas of farmland on the outskirts of the city were developed as residential areas in the 1950s and early 1960s producing, for instance, the suburb of Blacon.In 1911, Douglas' protégé and city architect James Strong designed the then active fire station on the west side of Northgate Street.
The colloquial modern Welsh name is the shortened form, Caer.
The early Old English speaking Anglo Saxon settlers used a name which had the same meaning, Legacæstir, which was current until the 11th century, when, in a further parallel with Welsh usage, the first element fell out of use and the simplex name Chester emerged.
Chester's four main roads, Eastgate, Northgate, Watergate and Bridge, follow routes laid out at this time – almost 2,000 years ago.
After the Romans left in the 5th century, the Saxons fortified the town against the Danes and gave Chester its name.
In 1964, a bypass was built through and around the town centre to combat traffic congestion.
These new developments caused local concern as the physicality and therefore the feel of the city was being dramatically altered.
From the 14th century to the 18th the city's prominent position in North West England meant that it was commonly also known as Westchester.
This name was used by Celia Fiennes when she visited the city in 1698.
The patron saint of Chester, Werburgh, is buried in Chester Cathedral.
Chester was one of the last towns in England to fall to the Normans in the Norman conquest of England.
Chester played a significant part in the Industrial Revolution which began in the North West of England in the latter part of the 18th century.