The present Police commissioner is Goutham Savangh..
ANDHRA CEMENTS (1937) is the first cement factory in Andhra Pradesh is established here.
There are many legends behind the origin of the name Vijayawada.
Then at the time of British rule, the Bengali scholars who helped the British rulers in ruling, wrote and pronounced Vijayawada as Bizayawada.
Gradually Bizayawada becane Bizawada and Bezawada in Britishers calling.
The average literacy rate stands at 82.59% (male 86.25%; female 78.94%) with 789,038 literates, significantly higher than the national average of 73.00%.
Water supply from the 59 water reservoirs, maintenance of roads, sewerage, underground drainage, environment protection programs, recycling of solid waste and producing power are the services are provided by the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation.
Akkana Madanna Caves, at the foot of Indrakeeladri Hill, is a monument of national importance.
At the foot of Indrakeeladri hills is the temple of Malleswara.
A tale behind its acquiring the name Bezawada is that Goddess Krishnaveni (River Krishna) requested Arjuna to make a passage for her to merge into the Bay of Bengal.
Hence, Arjuna made a bejjam (hole) through the mountains and the place came to be known as Bejjamwada which later changed to Bezawada.
The Kanaka Durga Temple is a Hindu temple of Goddess Durga on the Indrakeeladri hill, on the banks of Krishna River.
The deity is described as Swayambhu (self-manifested) in Triteeya kalpa.
Mogalrajapuram hills have five rock-cut temples, built during the 4th–9th centuries.